Friday, December 21, 2007

Week 5. Post A.

Vocabulary:
awry (149)- away from appropriate, planned, or expected course.

rivulets (157)- a very small stream

Figurative Language:
"He's been dragging equipment down the stairs at all hours of the day and night, sweat running in rivulets from his hairline."
-This is a metaphor because sweat isn't actually running down like actually rivulets. The author is just comparing using figurative language.

"The whole world seems contained in the square blanket we're sitting on."
-I would consider this personification because the world can't really be contained on the blanket the girls are sitting on.

"In my head I talk to Faye as if she were here, but she's not-and besides, it's always hard for me to explain my churning feelings."
-This is a metaphor because she is talking about her feelings churning. Her feelings can't really churn inside her body, therefore it is a metaphor.

No comments: