Monday, November 19, 2007

Week 1. Post B.

For me it is really easy to make a connection with the main character, Jenny. She talks about how sometimes she feels like she doesn’t belong in her family and there is nothing that she is really talented at. She doesn’t feel like she belongs because all her siblings are from both her parents while Jenny’s dad was a donor. She has never met and knows nothing about the donor, which often leaves her wondering. “When I think of where I came from, I imagine strings connecting me to someone else (25).” Jenny’s parents, twin sisters, and brother are always doing sporting events together and Jenny can never do any of them because she is not athletically talented. This is when she feels the most left out of her family. She gets frustrated because the things that she loves doing, such as painting, she isn’t very good at. “Don’t misunderstand me. You know Dad and I want you to do whatever makes you happy. But maybe…” She gestures at me with a fork. “Maybe painting isn’t your thing (18).” I think everyone has something they really love and wish they were good at but when they try they just can’t succeed. During this section of the book, Jenny talks about how she doesn’t fit in with her family, how she doesn’t fit into any certain group at school, and how she can’t like this boy, Tate, because she feels she is so different from them. I think that at some point in life everyone feels the way Jenny does. People feel like they just don’t belong anywhere. They just have to find what they are good at and what makes them happy. Once they find that self worth, they will start to feel like they fit in places and they aren’t just there for no reason. I think as the book goes on, Jenny might start to figure that out.

No comments: